Join Our Mailing List
Email:
 
Independence Ghost Town   » Click Here for information
on Ashcroft Ghost Town
 

Location:
16 miles east of Aspen on Highway 82

Tel: 970.925.3721
Fax: 970.925.5347

Time:

Self-guided tours available anytime.


Summer hours:

Open daily from June 15 through Labor Day.

Guided tours, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Fee:
Suggested donation $3/adults
Children under 12 FREE.

 
   

Legend has it that prospectors discovered the Independence Gold Lode on July 4, 1879. A tent city sprang up that summer, and by 1880 there were 300 people living in the camp.

By 1881, the Farwell Mining Company had acquired most of the leading mines in the area including the Independence No. 1, 2, & 3, Last Dollar, Legal Tender, Mammoth, Mount Hope, Champion, Sheba, Friday, and Dolly Varden. The company also operated the Farwell Stamp Mill and a large sawmill for their mines. That summer, the population grew to 500, served by four grocery stores, four boarding houses and three saloons. The Independence Miner started printing in October. By 1882 the Town of Independence had over 40 businesses with three post offices and an estimated population of 1,500. A miner could get room and board for $2 at the New England House, a boarding house on the east end of Main Street.

Typical of mining boom towns, the bust soon followed. Miners were lured away from Independence by the abundant work, good pay and milder climate of Aspen. The citizens of Independence could expect to be blanketed in snow from early October to late May. Daily life in a town at 10,900 feet was not easy!

Although mining at Independence proved to be short lived, over $190,000 worth of gold was produced between 1881 and 1882. The next year production dropped to $2,000. By 1888, only 100 citizens remained in the high mountain town, which in its brief history had been called many names—Independence, Chipeta, Mammoth City, Mount Hope, Farwell, Sparkill and Hunter’s Pass.

During the winter of 1899 the worst storm in Colorado’s history cut off the supply routes to Independence. The miners, who were running out of food, proceeded to dismantle their homes to make 75 pairs of skis and to escape en masse to Aspen. They made light of their adventure by making it a race of the Hunter’s Pass Ski Club—entry fee: one ham sandwich.

 
The Stables
 

Today, only a trace remains of the stables which once housed the many mules, burros, donkeys, and horses needed to haul ore and to make the treacherous journey over the Continental Divide to Leadville. The stage road was completed in 1881.

The Stables  
.........................................................................................................................................
The General Store
 

There is only speculation that the building on the right of this path was a General Store, but the large scale and spacious layout suggest that it was used to supply the miners with the necessities of life at 10,900 feet.

The General Store
.........................................................................................................................................
The Intern Cabin
 

This building was restored and served as the summer home of the Aspen Historical Society's Independence intern for many years.

Photo by Ann Hodges

 

The Intern Cabin  
   
 
   
All Rights Reserved © Aspen Historical Society 2008